Today we are sharing our top picks for the best stump killer to help you get rid of that darn left over tree stump. These products are effective and easy to use.
6 Best Stump Killers: Our Top Picks and Recommendations
So, you cut down a tree and now you have an unsightly stump left to deal with.
Tree stumps can be unappealing, cumbersome, and frustrating. It’s not easy to remove them, which can lead to spending hundreds of dollars to get someone else to do the job.
Sure, you can hire someone to come in and use a stump grinder. But with the average cost of stump removal being around $200 you need to decide if it’s really worth it.
This is why it’s time to look at the best stump killer to use before removing the tree stump.
These chemical stump killers take a little bit longer to get the job done, but cost significantly less.
It will typically take 2-6 weeks, and then your stump will be dead, which makes it much easier to burn, pull out or simply let it rot away.
Ready to see which products we are recommending? Here you go:
1) Gordon’s Stump Killer Ready-to-Use
This 32 oz. stump remover comes in a specialized squirt bottle to help with the application process. It offers a streamlined solution to kill stumps and get rid of complex root systems under the ground. Through direct application to the stump, this provides an all-in-one option to get rid of your problem for good.
- Easy to Apply
- Quick Results
- Proven to Keep the Rest of the Yard Safe
- Ideal for Handling Complicate and Deep-Rooted Tree Stumps
- Costs a bit more than other similar products, but many users say it worked with one application.
2) VPG Fertilome 32Oz Brush Stump Killer
- This stump and brush remover is designed to kill stumps and woody plants like vines and weeds.
This formulation offers a state-of-the-art solution to kill tree stumps.e The active ingredient (Triclopyr) is easily absorbed by plants and starts to work quickly. It is easy to apply using a simple brush and can be managed in tight areas alongside buildings, trails, non-crop areas, homes, and even cabins.
- Delivers Excellent Results
- Good for Tighter Spaces
- Keeps the Rest of the Yard in Good Shape
- Fast Results
- Doesn’t work well if exposed to water (i.e. Rain) Definitely apply when you know it’s going to be dry for a while.
3) Bonide Vine & Stump Killer
- Bonide # 274 8 ounce, concentrated, vine & stump Killer
With a brush-top applicator, this stump remover is easy to use, accurate and offers a concentrated solution ideal for different types of deep-rooted stumps. It’s an eco-friendly formulation that’s designed to target tree stumps without compromising the rest of the yard. This product has great reviews when used on a fresh cut stump.
- Ergonomic and Precise Applicator Brush
- Consistent Potency with Little Amounts
- Ideal for All Types of Tree Stumps
- Perfect for Different Conditions
- Safe for the Yard
- Does Not Come Colored Making It Hard To See Once Applied
4) Southern Ag Brush Killer
The Souther Brush Killer Stump Treatment comes in both a 16 oz. and 32 oz. bottle. It is made in the USA to assist with managing complicated tree stumps, weeds, vines, and woody plants. This comprehensive formulation includes the “triple threat” of ingredients including triethylamine, triclopyr, and salt (8.8%).
- Easy to Apply
- Works Well With Different Types of Tree Stumps and Weeds
- Lasts for a Long Time
- Not Easy To See Once It Has Been Applied
- Won’t work well if stump is exposed to moisture (rain)
5) Voluntary Purchasing Group Ferti-Lome Hi-Yield 11484 Stump Killer
- Triclopyr controls unwanted woody plants, vines, and poison ivy
This is another stump killer that uses triclopyr, which is noted for being a power-packed ingredient. It is ideal in tight spaces including alongside buildings, homes, and fences while offering a consistent undiluted solution for straightforward brush applications.
- Works rapidly on most growth
- Safe to Use
- Doesn’t Require a Lot to Provide Results
- Easy to Apply with a Brush
- Since it works well you will want to be sure that it doesn’t overspray onto anything you don’t want to kill.
6) Spectracide HG-66420 Stump Remover
- Destroys stumps: accelerates the rate of decomposition, making the stump porous
Rated among the best stump killers on the market, Spectracide HG-66420 offers an all-encompassing formulation for accelerating the decomposition rate. This easy to pour solution is perfect for filling drilled holes and ensuring the stump becomes porous quickly. Its efficient, well-established stump remover formulation allows users to safely get rid of a tree stump without unwanted hurdles.
- Easy to pour granules
- Ideal for all types of tree stumps
- Will not harm surrounding vegetation
- The stump needs to be treated with a brush killer first. Once the stump is dead this product will speed up the decomposition.
Tree Stump Killer FAQs
1) What is the fastest way to kill a tree stump?
The fastest way to kill a tree stump is to use a strong chemical tree stump remover and/or herbicides.
If a tree stump is left and not treated with a stump or brush killer, there is a strong likelihood that regrowth will occur.
The process of cutting a tree down to a stump, will not kill it in most cases. If you want the stump gone, you will need to pay for a tree stump grinding service or use one of the tree stump killer products listed above that will speed up the decomposition process.
2) What can you put on a tree stump to make it rot?
To help a tree stump rot, it’s recommended to drill small holes into the stump and then apply a strong chemical tree stump remover that includes ingredients such as triethylamine and triclopyr. These can assist in helping the stump become porous before it rots from the inside.
You can also use other household products such as bleach, vinegar or salt which are mentioned below and work to varying degrees.
3) Does tree stump killer work?
Tree stump killers are specifically formulated to assist with making a tree stump porous. This ensures the tree stump begins to die out from the inside before it eventually withers away. This can make it easier to get rid of the complex root system underneath as the top decays rapidly.
Depending on the size and species of the stump you are dealing with the tree stump killer may take quite a while to work. In many cases the decaying process starts immediately but may take up to 6 weeks or a few months for complete decomposition to occur.
The key to success is in proper application, which in many cases includes applying the product to a freshly cut stump, and for even greater success drilling holes into the stump into which the stump killer is applied.
4) Does brush killer work to kill tree stumps?
Brush killers are effective as long as they include potent and renowned ingredients such as triethylamine or triclopyr. These brush killers are perfect for managing challenging tree stumps and can be easy to apply with an applicator brush. This is why you see many brush killer products being used and sold as stump killers.
5) Will Epsom Salt rot a tree stump?
Epsom salt can be an effective solution for killing a tree stump as it will dry out the roots. This ensures there’s a barrier between the roots and the moisture from outside. Once the barrier is in place using Epsom salt, the tree stump begins to decay as it dries out rapidly. This makes it easier to remove.
6) Will Vinegar or bleach kill a tree stump?
Vinegar and/or bleach can be used to kill a tree stump. Vinegar can be applied using a spray bottle as long as it’s done without the presence of water (i.e. rain) to reduce moisture. This allows the vinegar to settle in and dry out the root system before the tree stump begins to decay.
Finding the best stump killer for removing the unsightly stump is your yard is possible. With a bit of patience and proper application the stump will die and be easy to remove. The products listed above are effective, safe, and will offer incredible results when used the right way.