The best cordless grass shears are going to help you create a perfectly even lawn, free from any rough patches or random tufts. The tool makes easy work of grass blades that stick out in your lawn, giving you the well manicured look you’re going for.
The 6 Best Cordless Grass Shears
A picturesque lawn does not just magically appear overnight.
You’re going to need some time, knowledge and all the right tools.
A set of cordless grass shears are going to become your new best friend. They are easy to use and help you to fine tune every nook and cranny of your yard.
However, you can only benefit from cordless shears when you invest in a quality make and model. So, how do you choose cordless grass shears?
What To Look For In The Best Cordless Grass Shears
With the market awash with so many choices of cordless grass shears, picking just one can be a daunting task.
To make the task easy (and straightforward), you should know the qualities to look for in the shears.
Here are some of the factors you want to consider when purchasing grass shears that are going to get the job done and be a reliable tool for years to come.
- Battery Capacity – As the shears are cordless, it should come with excellent battery life to give you ample runtime to finish the task. It is important to note that high battery capacity can increase the weight of the device.
- Power Output – Aside from battery capacity, a good cordless shear should be powerful enough to cut even the toughest grass blades with ease. As such, it should have a powerful motor with high power output for equally powerful performance.
- Build Quality – This is an obvious consideration but an important one to consider. You want your grass shear to deliver the highest bang for your buck. Part of the return on investment comes from the durability of the tool. It should give you service for years without experiencing performance deterioration or breaking down.
- Weight – Cordless grass shears are handheld tools and, therefore, should not be unwieldy. On the other hand, a robust build can sometimes come with a weight penalty. All considerations in mind, it is essential that you choose a make and model that balances between quality build and a lightweight design.
- Blade Length – Larger blades are preferable as they increase the cutting area, which means cutting a larger area in one go. Large blades reduce the time you take shearing your lawn.
The Best Cordless Shears On The Market
In its design, versatility is a top feature. The Sun Joe 7.2-Volt 2-in-1 Grass Shear is equipped to meet many of your lawn and hedge care and grooming needs. As a 2-in-1 shear, you can transform the device from a grass shear to a hedger in a matter of minutes. It is as simple as removing the 4-inch shear blade and slot in the 6-inch hedge trimmer blade.
With a lightweight construction (weighs 2.5 pounds) and a rechargeable 7.2 V lithium-ion battery, you can take your shear just about anywhere around your yard. With this product, no blade should stick out and create an eyesore. You will be pleased with the quality of service you get from the device.
- You do not have to deal with toxic fumes emitted by gas-powered shears and hedgers
- Compact design and lightweight construction: can use the device for long
- Long-lasting battery
- Versatile device that performs the task of shearing grass and grooming your hedges
- The hedger blade cannot work on extremely hardy hedges
- Slow charging (5 hours to full battery charge capacity)
A compact and sturdy grass shear, the WORKPRO Cordless Grass Shear is an easy-to-use, lightweight, and powerful grass shear optimized to allow homeowners to spruce up their yards. With a 2-in-1 design, you can use this device to trim your grass (using a 3-35/64 inch wide grass shear blade) and groom your hedge (using a 4-23/32 inch long shrub shear blade). Driving the blade is an 1100-RPM motor with enough power to trim and prune grass, bushes, and shrubs.
The compact design gives you the ability to reach even the smallest of spaces. The 7.2 V lithium-ion battery improves the user-experience by balancing battery life and weight reduction. This shear weighs a meager 1.04 lbs, which is exceptionally lightweight. You can trim the grass with just one hand without experiencing extreme fatigue. Finally, the WORKPRO Cordless Grass Shear also comes with a double lock design to improve safety.
- Compact and lightweight design yields exceptional user experience
- Ample performance for home use
- Child safety double lock
- Easy blade swap mechanism
- With a 5 hour charge time, the battery is slow-charging
- Relatively low runtime
For property owners with large yards or intricate hedges, the shear’s versatility and run time is exactly what you need. No one wants to deal with a dead battery while you are in the middle of shearing your lawn or grooming the hedge. The Makita XMU04ZX Cordless Grass Shear comes with an 18 V lithium-ion battery, which can give you a 3-hour runtime. The ample battery capacity is enough to keep you working on your lawn or hedge until completion. Moreover, the battery can power the motor without straining.
Unlike many other shears, the Makita XMU04ZX has a height-adjustable feature, allowing you trim your lawn to a precise height of 9/16 inches, ¾ inches, or 1 inch. It also comes with a 2-in-1 blade change to quickly switch from grass shear to hedge trimmer. The increased price is justified by serving as two tools.
- Ample 18 V battery capacity that yields class-leading runtime
- Fast charge time
- Star Protection
- High quality from Makita that we trust
- Battery not included with the shear
- Weighing 4.59, this shear is relatively heavy
Simplicity can translate to high performance. And the Scott Outdoor Cordless Grass Shear exemplifies simplicity and high performance across the board. The versatile tool is suitable for shearing grass using 4-inch lawn clippers just as well as grooming shrubs and hedges with the 6.5-inch shrubbery blade. Furthermore, the cordless device is optimized for ultimate accuracy. It has an adjustable cutting head that pivots to improve cutting angles.
- Fast charger
- Compact and lightweight cordless grass shear
- Ergonomic and comfortable handle
- Pivoting head for accurate shearing and hedge cutting
- Blades for shearing and hedge trimming
- Struggles to trim and prune thick stems
The Ryobi Cordless Grass Shear epitomizes the perfect blend of versatility and convenience. It comes with a quick-connect system that allows users to switch between the shear blade and shrubber. It also features an 18 V lithium-ion battery. Despite its battery having a large capacity, the device is still lightweight and easy on the hands. The over-mold handle is ergonomic and comfortable to use.
The shrubber blade is 8 inches in length, while the shearing blade is 4 inches in length. Additionally, the Ryobi Cordless Grass Shear also features a dual-action blade for silky smooth operation.
- Ergonomic and comfortable to handle
- Ample battery life with a long run time
- Has quick battery change feature
- Comes with 90-minutes quick charge
- Trimming hedges is a two-hands job, but the device doesn’t have a handle for the second hand
The TACKLIFE Cordless Mini Grass Shears And Hedge Trimmer is a compact, high-performance 2-in-1 design that you can shear your lawn with and groom your hedges to perfection. With a powerful motor producing 1250 RPM, you can use this tool to keep your yard looking stunning. Its battery has good battery life, allowing users to shear for 55 minutes and trim hedges for 75 minutes.
Its lightweight construction (weighs 1.35 lbs.) ensures you don’t develop sore in your hand as you work. The user-friendly device has an adjustable handle with 3 different handle heights. You can adjust the handle height to your liking.
- Ample running time
- Ergonomic rubberized handle
- Adjustable handle height improves comfort
- Multiple safety features
- Overheat protection
- Made of quality material
- Long recharge time of 2.5 hours may inconvenience some users
- Cannot handle heavy usage
Now that you know what to look for and how to choose the best cordless grass shears for your situation, we are confident that one of the products above are perfect for your needs.
More Lawn Care Tool Reviews and Recommendations:
How do you sharpen cordless shears?
After using your shears multiple times, it is expected that they will become blunt and unfit for purpose. So, how do you sharpen cordless shears?
Start by cleaning any gunk off the blades. Grass leaves a residue on the blades, which accumulates over time. You can spray WD40 on the blades and let it soak for a few minutes before thoroughly cleaning the blades.
After cleaning and drying the blades, you can clean the blades. When it comes to sharpening, you want to sharpen the cutting edge only. Do not sharpen the underside edge. You should only clean the flat edge.
There are plenty of sharpening tools you could use. Take a flat-file (of appropriate size), sharping stone, or a power rotary tool and sharpen the blade’s cutting edges while maintaining the preexisting bevel. While a flat-file or sharpening stone will suffice to sharpen the blades, a power rotary tool with a sharpening stone bit is the best solution. Sharpen the cutting edge until the metal surface gains a lighter color. Sharpen both the top and bottom parts of blades to perfection.
What is the difference between lawn shears and edging shears?
While both of these tools are used for lawn care, they differ in their design and function. Lawn shears are designed and optimized for trimming grass on a flat surface to create an even look across your yard. However, with some ingenuity and investing one of the best cordless grass shears, you can use it to trim the edges of your lawn.
On the other hand, edging shears are designed for the sole purpose of cutting the edges of your lawn for the picture-perfect lawn edge. The cutting blades for edging shears are placed at right angles to the handles. Moreover, this type of shear tool tends to have telescoping handles allowing users to adjust the handle length to their liking.