With all of us spending more time at home and wanting to spend more time outside, backyard games like croquet are seeing an increase in popularity. Today we are reviewing the nine best croquet sets available on Amazon.
The Best Croquet Sets: Our Top Picks and Reviews
Croquet is a fun, family-friendly activity that you can easily set up almost anywhere there’s grass.
However, all of the brightly colored mallets, balls, and wickets can be a little bit confusing if you have never played before.
If you have been thinking about investing in a croquet set, you probably have some questions about what to look for and how to play.
Today we are taking a look at the nine best croquet sets to buy and giving you all of the information you need to make the right choice for your family.
Whether you are looking a high quality croquet set that will look great on display or you just need something that the kids can run around with in the backyard, you are sure to find the right croquet set here.
Best For Families: GoSports Six Player Croquet Set for Adults & Kids
This is undoubtedly the best croquet set for families. The GoSports Six Player Croquet is a great starter set, even if no one in your family knows how to play. The brightly colored mallets and matching balls make it easy to keep track of your ball during the game, no matter where it may roll.
- It comes with a set of rules to make it easy for beginners to get into the game.
- It comes with a carrying case to consolidate your equipment, so you never end up losing a crucial mallet or wicket.
- The Deluxe version comes with specialized rubber grips to help you keep a hold of the mallet.
- One of the best budget croquet sets on this list.
- 35-inch height handles are perfect for people of all heights.
- Customers have noticed that the balls dent and scratch easily, which is totally normal. Just don’t be surprised when it happens.
Most Durable: Juegoal Six Player Croquet Set with Drawstring Bag
- Includes 6 x 28" Burlywood hardwood handles, 6 x 8" hardwood mallets with caps for added protection, 2 x 18" hardwood ending stakes, 6 x 2.8" weather resistant molded balls, 9 x steel wickets with vinyl coating.
If you and your family are the types to go after the ball in the spirit of competitiveness, you need this heavy-duty croquet set. It is the most durable entry on our list and can stand up to some real wear and tear. The Juegoal Six Player Croquet Set is great for when you want to store your croquet set outside without worrying about degradation.
- The steel wickets have a vinyl coating to help them stand up to near misses.
- This six player croquet set is the perfect size for a family.
- Assembly is easy; all you have to do is screw the handles onto the mallets, and you are ready to go.
- The handles are only 28 inches long, which might be a bit short for really tall people.
Best For Intermediate Players: The Franklin Sports Outdoor Croquet Set
- FUN FOR ALL: This 6-player croquet set is the perfect way to get family and friends of all ages out on the lawn for some outdoor summertime fun!
The Franklin Sports Outdoor Croquet Set is a looker! This vintage inspired, mid-century set with dark wood mallets are very showy and will impress anyone who sees them. They look gorgeous displayed on the walls of an elegant game room, but are tons of fun in the hands of an adult, sipping a cocktail and enjoying some time outside.
- Lovely lacquered cherry finish wooden croquet set
- Brass fittings cover the ends of the knurled hardwood heads to keep them protected for years of play
- Made by Franklin, a brand that is known and trusted in the sports equipment industry
- 36-inch long mallet handles allow adults to stand upright while swinging, minimizing back pain
- It comes with a duffel bag with wheels to make transport easy and convenient.
- Comes with a convenient stand for display and storage.
- As noted above the mallets are pretty tall, so the set won’t work well for families with young kids
Best Budget Friendly Pick: Hey! Play! Outdoor Wooden Deluxe Croquet Set For Families
- EASY TO PLAY- Simply set up the wire hoops in the ground, assign colors to players, and play! This outdoor sport can be set up on almost any flat lawn, is easy to learn, and can be played at your own pace- making it ideal for adults and kids!
For people looking to buy a cheap croquet set that will let you experience all of the fun of croquet without breaking the bank, this is the set for you. This croquet set from Hey! Play! is excellent for families looking for backyard fun. It’s also the perfect set to take to the park and enjoy some fun in the sun with your kids.
- This set is another great budget-friendly pick.
- The duffle bag with handles makes it easy to transport these lightweight mallets and wickets.
- The mallet heads have thin cushions to prevent injury if a swing goes wide and connects with another person (great feature for playing with kids)
- The mallet handles are only 26 inches long, which means adults will probably need to bend forward to swing, but makes it the perfect size for kids.
- You will have to take the mallet heads off to get everything to fit in the duffle bag.
Best Set With Stand: AmishToyBox Family Traditions 8-Player Croquet Set with Wooden Stand
- Quality Crafted by Amish Craftsmen in Holmes County, Ohio.
This set from AmishToyBox.com is an heirloom quality croquet set that is will provide decades of family friendly fun. You can invite your kid’s friends or another family to come to join in the fun with this eight-player set. Beech hardwood means that your mallets are attractive and durable.
- This fantastic croquet set comes with a stand, so you never have to worry about things falling over when you are not there to supervise.
- This croquet set has enough mallets to let up to eight different players participate in the game.
- Mallets are 31″
- Made in the USA (Holmes County, Ohio)
- Comes with a 5 Year Warranty
- The superior materials and craftsmanship do make this set more of an investment than other recommendations
Best 6 Player Set: Baden Champions Croquet Set with Soft Grip Handles
- CHAMPION MALLETS - (6) Cottonwood croquet mallets with colorful soft grip handles
If you are looking to play croquet on the go, this set comes with its carrying case for easy transportation. The Baden 6-Player Champions Croquet Set is perfect for adults who want to learn to play croquet in style. The handles make it easy to adjust your grip and find the right stance so that you can master the game.
- Easy to set up; just attach the handles to the mallet heads, and you are ready to hit the field.
- This product comes with a 90-day warranty so that you can buy the croquet set without the worry.
- 33 inch mallets are great for tall individuals
- Comes with full set of rules and directions for how to play.
- Comfy, padded handles let you swing the mallet while preserving your hands.
- 33-inch handles may not be the best for shorter adults and children.
Best Deluxe Set: Amish-Crafted Deluxe 8-Player Croquet Set
- Quality Made by Amish Craftsmen in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
If you are looking for a high-end croquet set, this is definitely it. This beautiful wooden croquet set is sure to impress your friends and family. The Amish-Crafted Deluxe 8-Player Set,is available in two handle lengths so that you can choose between twenty-eight inches and thirty-two inches.
- Allows up to eight players in a game.
- Expertly crafted maple hardwood that lends an air of elegance to your game.
- It comes with a nice stand to for display and storage in between games.
- Polished brass rings help to prevent the mallets from cracking.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Made in the USA (Lancaster, Pennsylvania)
- This is definitely a high-end product. If you are looking to invest in an heirloom piece or for large group play this is a great choice.
Top Pick for Kids: Play N Laughter 6 Player Croquet Set
If you have been looking for the best kids croquet set, this is it. If you have really young kids, you might want to check out the next entry on this list, but this croquet set is perfect for kids age 7 and up interested in learning to play croquet. The Play N Laughter 6 Player Croquet Set with Carrying Bag for Kids & Family is great for family fun.
- 26-inch mallet handles are perfect for kids of all ages.
- Extra durable mallets can stand up to the wear and tear of kids who are excited about learning a new game.
- The wickets are slightly larger than standard so that your kids will have an easier time aiming the balls into them.
- None! We love this set!
Best Croquet Set for Toddlers: FOREVIVE Children’s Croquet
This croquet set is perfect for teaching your toddlers the art of croquet. It can help improve their grip and manual dexterity while also providing a fun outlet for their need to hit something as hard as their little arms can. The FOREVIVE Children’s Training Croquet Set excellent for your tiny tots.
- 【Crocket game set】: The product includes 2 * rods, 4 * door holes ，2*Upright and 2 * balls. A safe lawn game for kids, you can play competitive croquet games indoors or outdoors.
- Mallets, balls, and wickets are brightly colored so your kids can see them.
- The materials are rubber and foam, so there is no need to worry about any boo-boos with this croquet set.
- Easy to set up indoors or outdoors. No grass required, which makes this set perfect for indoor rainy day play.
- Not suited for adults because of the small sizes of everything included.
How Do You Choose a Croquet Set?
When choosing a good croquet set, there is a wide variety of essential factors to consider. Depending on your family’s size and ages, you might need to think hard about a good croquet set. The main factors to consider are durability, number of players, and handle length.
If you know that you will be storing the croquet set outdoors and that it will see a lot of use, you will want to look for hardwood and heavy plastic sets to ensure that the croquet set is durable enough to stand up to the wear and tear of use. However, if you have young children who want to play, you might want to opt for a lightweight set to avoid injuries and damage.
Number of Players
The majority of the croquet sets listed in this article are six player croquet sets. Just because a croquet set allows for six players does not mean that six players are needed. Technically, the minimum number of players required is always two. Many people find croquet to be more fun with more players, however.
If you are planning to host parties or invite over a few couples to play croquet, you might want a croquet set that can accommodate a few more players so that people will not have to wait their turn. Two of the entries on this list allow for eight players in a single game, which is a fun way to bring people together during a garden party.
This aspect is mainly important if you are planning to have children or toddlers play croquet with you. Often, people buy croquet sets intending to play with their families, so you will want to consider your children’s reach and how long a croquet mallet should be to stay comfortable for their little arms.
Some of the longer handles can be challenging for children to wield and might lead to unfortunate accidents with wooden mallets. If you are planning on playing with children under the age of ten, you should look for handles that are twenty-eight inches or fewer or that have adjustable grips to move up and down the handles.
Croquet Set FAQ
Buyers often wonder about some common questions before investing in a professional croquet set for their family fun.
Here are a few of the main factors many people consider before purchasing a croquet set.
Keep in mind that most croquet sets come with a handy dandy rule book so you can double-check the rules before playing…..or make up your own!
How Do You Play Croquet?
Obviously, the rules of the game are the first question to consider.
Although croquet sets are easy to find, most American children do not grow up playing croquet or even knowing how to.
The basic idea is that each player has a mallet and matching colored ball.
You can only hit the ball that matches the color of your mallet. Hitting other people’s balls is considered a fault and is illegal.
If you are really serious about learning how to play, you can see our guide to playing traditional 9-wicket croquet below.
However, we recommend that if you are a beginner, looking to just have fun or playing with kids that you follow the rules for Family Style or Golf Croquet:
How to Play Golf Croquet (with video):
This simple and laid-back version is lots of fun and easier to play than the traditional game.
How Do You Hit A Croquet Ball?
Depending on how large your playing field is, you should hit your ball with enough force to travel over the flat ground, but primarily, your swing should be restrained.
The regulation way to swing a croquet mallet is to stand with your feet wider than shoulder-width and bring the croquet mallet up between your legs and then swing directly forward at the ball.
The amount of force you need to move the ball where you want is tricky to estimate, but croquet is meant to be played on flat, short grass to allow for easy rolling.
Croquet relies on aim more than brute force. Do not swing a croquet mallet like a golf club for a drive, but you can swing it like a golf club for putting if it’s easier.
How Much Space Do I Need To Set Up A Croquet Game?
Croquet is a highly customizable game. It can utilize between six and nine hoops or wickets. Most beginners tend to choose six wickets, and that is the typical number of wickets included in a European croquet set.
Assuming that all of the players are fully-grown adults, you will need to measure out about forty-six feet for the short side of the croquet set.
If you are playing with kids, you should probably reduce the size to between twenty-three and thirty-three feet, depending on your yard size and your kids’ sizes.
You might have to modify the spacing for toddlers even further so that they do not become discouraged. The long side should be 1.25 times the short side’s distance.
A full-sized six-wicket croquet set would require a square of grass that is forty-six by fifty-seven and a half feet.
That is a pretty large space, and your backyard might not accommodate that size. You can feel free to shrink it to stay on short grass or fit your family’s needs. The smallest size recommended is twenty-three by about twenty-nine feet.
For a nine-wicket set, the typical American croquet set, your long side will be twice the short side’s size. The standard measurement for the short side is fifty feet, but you can modify it to fit your backyard size. Alternatively, you could take the croquet set to the park and see what it feels like to play croquet on a grander scale.
Is Croquet A Good Activity For Families?
Croquet is an outdoor activity that can entice your kids away from the TV and video games. It improves manual dexterity and instills a sense of competition.
Traditional croquet has many rules to follow that are not necessarily intuitive, which teaches kids how to concentrate on a game and follow the turn order.
Each turn in croquet is usually short, so there is not as much time to lose interest, but you might notice that your kids lose patience with small, fiddly wickets.
Additionally, the rules state that no one can move on to the next wicket until everyone has completed the current one. This is a great way for kid to develop patience, but you can also change the rules so that your family has fun and avoids frustration until the kids are older.
Playing croquet as a family is an excellent opportunity to show your kids how to help others and give tips and tricks to the other players.
Your kids might even start to help each other if one of them is having an off day and facilitates communication and a sense of teamwork.
Most parks allow you to bring your croquet set and use some of the green expanses for a fun day out with your family and friends.
Keep in mind; you will be arming your family members with heavy mallets. Some of the croquet sets on the market, such as the last entry on our list, feature mallets and balls that are made of foam and rubber. This makes croquet much more family-friendly and is a great way to bring the fun game of croquet to children of all ages.
How To Play A Traditional Game of Croquet
Feel free to read through this section and discover why we recommend playing the much easier version of Golf Croquet instead 😉
In your turn, you are called the striker.
A turn consists of just one hit.
Everyone begins near wicket 4 (meaning the wicket in the fourth quadrant) and tries to hit their ball through wicket 1.
Once everyone has hit their ball through the first wicket, you can move on to the second wicket. If you accidentally nudge another person’s ball through, that still counts for them as a point.
The first person to successfully get through all of the wickets and then tap the stake in the middle of the field wins the game.
The stake, or center peg, will show the order of the colors. For example, blue usually plays first, and red usually plays last.
If you choose to play singles, each player will be hitting two differently colored balls, which will both count for points.
If your croquet set has six balls total, you can have three singles players or six doubles players.
A doubles player uses one ball which corresponds in color to their mallet. For singles games, blue and black balls are used by the same person and red and yellow for another person. For six colored croquet, the remaining two colors can be paired.
What Are Croquet Balls Made Of?
Generally, croquet balls are made of hard plastic or composite wood. Composite wooden balls are not as durable as plastic balls and are known to crack if they are hit too aggressively. Luxury and vintage sets may feature croquet balls that are made of solid hardwood. While those balls are more durable, they are significantly heavier and harder to hit.
Your croquet ball’s weight, size, and materials can vary somewhat if you are not planning to play in a professional tournament, so it is best to try out a few different kinds and see which ones work best for your family. Some children’s croquet sets come with rubber or foam balls, which are bouncier and more comfortable to move.
Why Are Croquet Sets So Expensive?
As with all things, croquet sets are priced based on the materials used, as well as the number of parts. For eight-player croquet sets, you will likely notice that they are more expensive than six-player sets. Similarly, hardwood sets that come with travel bags or wooden stands will also be much more costly than plastic sets without the fancy accessories.
When it comes to choosing the right croquet set for your home, there are plenty of factors to consider. This article delves into the frequently asked questions, factors to consider before purchasing a croquet set and lists nine great options to consider based on your family’s individual needs.